The base criteria for a league wanting to achieve The FA Charter Standard League award are:
• Evidence of how the league plans to retain/grow the number of male, female and disability teams (mini-soccer, small sided and 11v11) as appropriate
• At least 60% of teams in the league have Charter Standard Club status, working towards 100% within two seasons
• The league has an equality policy and complaints procedure that adheres to The FA equality policy and complaints procedure template
• The league has a safeguarding children policy and procedures that adheres to FA requirements (youth leagues only)
• The Youth League Welfare Officer and Charter Standard League Co-ordinator sit on the league committee
• The league has a web-based administration system for results, tables and fixtures. FULL-TIME is recommended for this purpose but it isn’t mandatory
• The league has a development plan that identifies key development objectives and targets linked to the National Game Strategy key goals and enablers
• As part of the benefits each Charter Standard League is eligible for two tickets to The FA Community Shield courtesy of McDonald's.
FA Charter Standard League primarily offers leagues a process to raise standards within leagues and a practical means to deliver initiatives in line with the needs of member clubs. The base criteria ensures that clubs within these leagues are consistent in delivering Respect, have a minimum Level 1 qualified coach with every team (Mini Soccer and youth football only), and have a qualified first aider. However for most leagues this is just the foundation on which they then build significant positive change and initiatives through the implementation of a league development plan.
The league development plan should be a clear set of actions that will make a practical difference to the operation of the league and the progress of the clubs/teams and players within it.
If you are looking to clarify your leagues purpose, raise standards in your league, use the huge influence of your league to affect change at grass roots level- then FA Charter Standard League is for you.