On 3-5 February, millions of football fans and their clubs will gather for Green Football Weekend: a weekend of football fun and competitive activities to help protect our world.
From 17 January, in the lead up to the weekend, fans will be battling it out to win the Green Football Cup for their club, in a tournament where they can share their allegiance to their club and score green goals by taking climate-friendly actions.
This will all culminate on Green Football Weekend (3-5 February), when Green Football Weekend Games will be broadcast on BT Sport and Sky Sports, and football teams across the UK - from the professional leagues to casual Sunday football teams - will get involved.
Earlier in the season, Cumberland FA partnered with Planet League and now you can score green goals for Carlisle United FC as they’re signed up to the Green Football Weekend!
This is a great opportunity for grassroot clubs across Cumberland to join in and help unleash the power of football to tackle climate change.
Once registered and your club is chosen, you can add your County FA via the COMMUNITIES tab, meaning you can score for your club AND CUMBERLAND FA.
These are 5 simple ways to show your support for Green Football Weekend and engage with your team and community to take climate action:
1. Reusable bottles - Ask all players (home and away), fans and staff to swap their single use bottles for reusable ones. Make Green Football Weekend the beginning of plastic-free match days in 2023
2. Travel green - Encourage everyone to make their way to the game by foot, bike or public transport. Where this isn’t an option, encourage carpooling.
3. Eco wash - Challenge all players to wash their kit on an eco-wash (30 degrees or less)
4. Boot scheme - Set up a boot recycling scheme for players. Here’s one simple scheme you can apply to join [we know lot’s of Cumberland Grassroots Clubs have a boot recycling scheme to redistribute as they inevitably get too small – why not shout this out in the lead up to the weekend to promote your own Club scheme]
5. Layer Up! Take on the layer up challenge during your warm up and post your results using #GreenFootballWeekend – Tag @CumberlandFA in your efforts! Who’s the champion in your team?
Want to do more? There’s even more ideas here and in the clubs toolkit.
TELL US WHAT YOU’RE UP TO AND WE’LL SUPPORT!
You can contact us via greenfootballweekend.com about clubs, fans or communities taking part, so we can celebrate their action with the nation.
Read more on England Football at https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Jan/17/england-football-backs-green-football-weekend-20231701.